Our roots go back to 1923 with the Newcomb Home for Old Ladies of Norton, created to fulfill the terms of Harriot A. Newcomb’s will. She left the old homestead specifically for use as a home for elderly women, together with other property and assets to support the Home. The name was later changed to the Newcomb Home.
Similarly, Frances A. Crandall left a bequest to be held in trust as an endowment fund for the establishment and maintenance of a home for elderly ladies in Attleboro. The fund was to be allowed to accumulate until, through interest and other gifts, an amount of $50,000 was available, at which time a suitable home was to be purchased. Late in 1926 this goal was achieved and on November 23, 1926, a corporation was formed under the name of the John Daggett Home for Aged Women. They purchased the Sheffield property on North Main Street in Attleboro on January 26, 1927, from Amelia Daggett Sheffield (daughter of John Daggett). The name was later changed to the John Daggett-Frances A. Crandall Home for Aged Women.
Over the years, each of these homes was the recipients of various gifts and bequests, and operations were supported mostly from investment income and money paid into the homes’ treasuries by residents who entered the homes under life care contracts.
Because both of the homes were of old wooden construction, it became increasingly difficult to meet state safety requirements. In 1966 the two homes decided to pool assets and form a new single corporation: the Daggett-Crandall-Newcomb Home, Inc. A new home was built in Norton on Newcomb land and in January of 1968 the new home was occupied and the old properties vacated. At a later time, the old Newcomb homestead was razed and the Attleboro property was sold. The property is on five acres of woodland and fields and is a Natural Wildlife Habitat.